Elderly home care is becoming the need of the hire. Many people do not have the resources to look after the elders in the house, and it becomes almost mandatory for them to look for homecare services once the elders become too frail or are unable to carry out their day-to-day activities. Though there are many home care services available, you need to look for one that matches your requirements and the budget.
Here are some questions that you should ask yourself, before signing up with an elderly home.
1. The first question to ask what is the complete cost of the senior home stay.
Some senior homes offer a lump sum amount, which comprises of everything the senior would need, right from daily requirements to basic medical care. Others might charge on a piecemeal basis. You need to get an estimate of the expenses on the latter basis and decide whether you will be able to bear these expenses.
2. You also need to ask how far the senior home is from your current residence.
When a senior is signing up with a senior home, it is very necessary for you to visit them at least once a month, or else they might get finicky and irritable. You need to check the distance and the location and need to decide whether you will be able to visit them on a regular basis.
3. Another question to ask is about the amount of involvement that is required of you.
Some senior homes take complete care of the seniors, right from the daily living to the funeral of the seniors, while others require being involved much more – even meeting them every day. You need to ask yourself which type of senior care would be the best option for you.
4. Yet another question to ask is whether the senior home will suit the senior.
Just because a person has become old does not mean that they are frail and cannot do anything. Many seniors are active and like to keep busy, even running a small business. Some might have a specific hobby and would pursue it even in the evenings of their lives. Therefore, you need to ask whether the senior care home will match the senior’s lifestyle or not.
5. You should also ask around about the general rules and regulations of the home.
These rules can be anything, right from about what they can eat to the visiting hours and visiting styles. Some may not allow visitors on weekdays, while others might allow visitors only on weekdays. Some might not allow home cooked food because all the seniors can eat is diet food prescribed by the doctor, etc.
Consider these questions before signing up a senior with a senior home. There are several organizations and institutions like these in all regions. Some of them might even have a website, which provides you with all information about them. You can contact them, and even have a tour before you decide to send the senior to the home.
Benefits Of Elderly Home-Health-Care
Are you aware of the fact that elderly individuals prefer to stay at home than to be placed in the nursing home or long-term care centers? Are you aware of the benefits of home-health-care? To know more about it, read the article below.
Senior citizens do not like to be placed in nursing homes or assisted living facilities because they do not like to lose their independence and they like to enjoy the comfort of their own homes. The majority of them want to stay in their own houses, but many of them are placed in geriatrics homes when it is not really needed.
Advantages of home-health-care:
1. It is suitable than nursing-home or assisted-living-facilities because it promotes their independence and their empowerment.
2. It promotes stable of mind, mental health and boosts the sense of being control of oneself.
3. They feel lesser vulnerable because friend’s and family’s are near and just around.
4. Hiring a caregive, your loves one can establishing a strong bonding of companion with them.
4. Caregiver can help to achieve normal routine while improve their quality life.
5. They can accompany your parents to visit their friends and relatives who also receive the same type home care.
As your parents or grandparents grew older, it can be challenging for you on how to take care of them better. Despite the different and sensitive needs they have, they need all the love, understanding, companionship, support and care from family members, thus home care is the best option to consider.
Tips on how to provide quality home-health-care for your elderly loved ones:
1. Assess their needs first.
List their needs and ways on how to meet them. If they have dementia or Alzheimer’s disease, it is best that you consult your physician first before you decide to take them home.
2. Sit down and have a talk with other members.
The family regarding your decision to take care of your elderly loved one at home. Since it can be a difficult decision for the family, it is best that you have an open line of communication to know each other’s concerns.
3. If you and other members of the family are busy, you can hire a caregiver to look after your parents at home.
It is much better than placing them in nursing homes because you can monitor their health and status easily. Be sure to choose credible, experienced and responsible caregiver. Try to ask friends, relatives, and colleagues for referrals or surf the Internet to read reviews of satisfied customers.
4. Having caregiver at home to look after your parents is advantageous because of several reasons like:
– They can provide company and support.
– They can keep an eye of safety hazards at home.
– They can help maintain the cleanliness of your home.
– They can prepare nutritious and appetizing meals for your parents.
– They can monitor and give medicines at a prescribed time.
– They can bring your parents to the park, to visit friends or to the doctor for regular monitoring and check-ups.
– They can assist in bathing, grooming, and toileting of your elderly loved ones.
5. Lastly, you have the chance to spend quality time with your parents or grandparents.
With the advantages of elderly home-health-care mentioned above, there is no doubt that home-health-care is the best option available.